We’ve been married 6 months today. Our lives are so blessed. Our marriage is wonderful, fun, funny, adventurous, challenging, real, and forever. Even after we dated for 5 years I’m learning more and more about Micah and am continually amazed at what a good and pure person that he is. Something that can be really challenging sometimes, but that I am the most grateful for is that Micah doesn’t just let me be…he is always pushing me to be better, kinder and more understanding towards others, easygoing, and grateful. He doesn’t just accept my weaknesses, he really believes that they can be overcome and become strengths. He helps me recognize that doing my best is really achievable, but it takes constant vigilance and effort. It makes life so exciting because it’s challenging, but real effort and conscientiousness makes a difference that I can see and feel.
We watched a lot of the 2010 Winter Olympics that were in Vancouver on TV (because one day Micah drove to Ogden to get a super awesome deal on a huge TV just so we could watch:) and were amazed at the ability, speed, agility, and dedication of each of the athletes. They are the best in the world at their individual sport/event. As Micah watches these people compete, knowing the amount of time, strength, pushing their limits, endurance, etc. that went into the years to prepare to be there competing for medals, he knows that they are giving their best – an attribute of our Heavenly Father. It’s a reminder that our best is attainable. We’re here to prove ourselves and to be our best at whatever we decide to engage in. Olympians demonstrate that attribute in the one area they compete in.
Right now Micah and I are reading the autobiography of Larry H. Miller. Micah took an Entrepreneurial Leadership course from him while at BYU and Mr. Miller spoke at one of my work functions (Founders Conference) a couple of years ago. He passed away on February 20, 2009. His book is titled “Driven” which so accurately describes Larry H. Miller. In his book he tells a story about asking for a well-deserved raise from an employer. As he tells it, “After doing a little research, i discovered that I was waiting on 65 percent of the customers by myself, which mean all the other employees combined were handling only 35 percent” and he was workgin 83 hours a week. His request was declined and he was really upset. The same day that he was rejected, he had his monthly dinner with his grandfather who inquired about the matter. I’ll quote the rest:
Larry: “No matter how hard I work I can’t perform well enough to accelerate my pay, and I’m getting married.” Gpa, “So what do you intend to do about it?” Larry, “I guess I’ll only give them a $1.45 job if they’re only going to pay me $1.45.” Gpa, “You could do exactly that and still perform at such a high level that you would outperform your coworkers. So they would never know you were giving less than you had. But you would know, and frankly, you would be teh only guy to be hurt by your underperformance. So, as your grandpay, I am going to promise you that as long as you continue to take their paycheck, if you work as hard as you can and learn all that you can in that business, someday it will pay off many times over. “
Larry’s comments: I didn’t realize then how profound his counsel would prove to be in my life…It was one of the great lessons in my life, and I have given my best effort in everything I have done since then. Grandpa was right. It wasn’t about beating my emplo9yers and their policies; it was about me and doing my best because it was the right thing to do.
I love that last line from Mr. Miller – it was about me and doing my best because it was the right thing to do. I have such a long way to do and so much more to give in order to really do my best, but I know that it’s possible and it’s up to me!